Some Thoughts about Fear and Worry

For most of my life, part of my morning routine has been sitting down with a cup of coffee and the morning newspaper. There’s something oddly comforting and grounding about being able to actually hold the paper in my hand and peruse it without any rush. Newspapers are in trouble because many people in recent generations are comfortable getting their news from the internet, but I just can’t get there.

But that’s not the point of why I’m writing.

The four headlines on the front page of the Portland Oregonian this morning were: Latest Forecast Signals Deeper Cuts; Markets’ Volatility Threatens Recovery; Oregon Graduation Rate ‘not acceptable;’ and Conditions at State Mental Hospital Deteriorate.

Notice a bit of a pattern there? They all seem to be offering us situations to worry and feel fearful about that we as individuals have no real control over. And that got me to thinking about a conversation I had with a friend the other day in which I said that I no longer feel fear or worry about much of anything.

That’s a pretty remarkable statement coming from a guy who spent most of his life devoting a great deal of energy to both of those emotions.

As many of you have heard me say, during the last five years or so I went through some kind of major transformation that has allowed me to feel at peace about most everything in my life – even the major “issues.”

Not coincidentally, I believe, it was during that same period that I made the commitment to begin sharing the writings I had been receiving over the years, and that led me to begin re-reading them – for the first time in years – and compiling some of them for Lessons from the Source.

It seems logical to me to assume that my beginning to focus on those teachings that I had ignored for so long had something to do with the change in my approach to life.

You probably also have read or heard me say that I am no guru, and that I need to spend time and energy every day trying to integrate these lessons into my own life.  So, as a reaction to those headlines, I thought I would go back to the book and find some of the specific references to fear and worry in order to give myself a reminder. And then it seemed like a good idea to share some of them with you.

The first paragraph in the section on Illusions says:

The disorder that you and every other human experience to one extent or another as part of this life is a false reality. It is created by the conscious mind when it is out of touch with its true essence. These experiences, which cause fear, anger, worry, mistrust, uncertainty, feelings of lack or inadequacy, etc., are only illusions. They are smokescreens that keep you from seeing and experiencing your good.

Then in referring to Divine Order, the voice speaking through the writings says:

Divine order is the ultimate reality which, because it is so perfect, is usually taken for granted to the point that it is obscured in the human mind by the clouds of crisis or tension or anxiety or fear. These, of course, are false concepts created by human consciousness to convince humanity that all is not, in fact, well – that something can or will go wrong. Divine order is always at work in all things. It cannot fail, but it can be ignored.

In the section on Faith, I found this:

When you are operating out of pure faith, fear has no place. It is not an option. Faith is trust with the doubts removed. Faith is the certainty that you are in the universal flow, and that nothing can happen to you that is not for your highest good.

And then in the section on Joy, Peace and Love, there was this:

Be at peace and let go of any resistance to your good. Let go of any tension or apprehension or doubt or fear or uncertainty. They have no power over you unless you allow them to, and as you release them and place your consciousness in the pure flow of goodness, they can never affect you.

Even though I probably have read the teachings in the book hundreds of times, going back and finding snippets that apply to specific situations in my life almost always is helpful in reminding me of those truths that I understand intellectually, but sometimes find so hard to integrate, and I’m certain that it helps me maintain that feeling of peace, as well.

I’m hoping that perhaps these little nuggets that I found this morning will be meaningful to you, as well.  Have a fabulous day.

9 Responses to “Some Thoughts about Fear and Worry”

1. Sunflower says:

Thanks Jack…this is wonderful….

2. Tambra says:

Jack, ah, an inspired response to reading the paper! I stopped reading it many years ago, except for occasions when I peruse the travel, home & garden, food & wine or entertainment sections. (all things I love participating in!)

I wasn’t taking a stand for “newspapers are bad,” rather that I didn’t appreciate the one-sided-ness of the stories. They seemed to me to be fear-, suspicion-,anxiety-inducing.

The other day I was reading about discoveries that are being made about how when we think, talk about or are subjected to “negativity” (like the article title’s in the Oregonian,) it does physical damage to our brains.

The Voice speaking through your writings has, I believe, the balancing, healing message that changes our brains, our minds, our bodies, our relationships… the world. I’m personally so happy to see that you chose to share the writings that have been coming through you for all these years. They will (and are!) serve the WellBeing of All.

Blessings,
    Tambra

3. Jack Armstrong says:

Blessings to you, as well, Tambra. Thanks so much for this.

4. Gary Lange says:

Jack, putting two antwo together as I read your newspaper post… follow me, how do newspapers and news magazines actually make thier money… Subscriptions to you and I pay for the piece of paper and delivery costs, not enough profit there to have a cup of coffee on.. Papers live off of advertising revenue… The basic theme of advertising is, “you will be happy when you get this product. my hypothesis of the moment then is, newspapers thrive on printing fear and worrysome news.. because it puts people in the right state of mind to want and to need some comforting products, they are unhappy at today’s news, so instinctively reach for the advertisements that promise them that they will be HAPPY WHEN they get this or that… as I say, just a hypothesis, but have you seen the little video, “Is the pursuit of happyness making us miserable?”
    Is the Pursuit of Happiness making us miserable? [HQ]
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=267692900442&ref=ts#!/group.php?gid=267692900442&ref=ts Please share freely ♥ ♥ ♥ Namaste
    Length:6:55

5. Gary Lange says:

How long do you think a newspaper would last if the top story read, New Psychological studies prove that if you want to be happy Clap Your Hands, Clap Your Hands?

6. Jack Armstrong says:

Hey Gary, the post wasn’t intended as an indictment of newspapers — heck, I rely on them, and almost never read the advertisements. But they certainly are one of an endless number of things and people and situations that can generate fear and worry if we allow that to happen.

7. Rizal Affif - The Soul Sanctuary says:

Hi Jack,

Thanks for sharing the snippets. They got to my contemplation for now, too. I have released fear and worry about many things; yet they still persist on some issues.

Fear and worry are said to be illusion of the mind; yet it is not really easy to overcome them :D I wonder what do you do to transcend them?

8. Jack Armstrong says:

Rizal, Lessons from the Source deals with that in some detail, and I would encourage you to look into getting yourself a copy.

9. Michael David Lawrience says:

Hello Jack; I see your messages on Facebook.

In my experience our conscious mind creates and keeps us locked in fear for its own survival. When we evolve to connect to our souls then we align with our higher mind or intuitive mind which brings us closer to our true spiritual selves. When we evolve in consciousness even higher then we can align with Divine Mind and beyond the illusions of the everyday conscious mind.

Jack I believe you understand this, however, for the everyday consciousness of some people it is difficult to grasp and move beyond their illusions.

Blessings, Michael